Ports and Harbours Environmental Management
Water ecosystems may be adversely impacted upon in the vicinity of ports, harbours and jetties.
Elgin Associates uses a range of in-house equipment and technical skills that include commercial dive and vessel qualifications. We use our scientific expertise in assessing the impact on the environment of shipping movements, effluent and oil contaminants, and changes in sediment. These services include:
- Environmental impact assessments and management plans for port and harbour development projects;
- Environmental impact assessments and management plans for the development of private and public jetties and boat ramps;
- Environmental testing and monitoring for marine construction projects, including water, sediments and marine species;
- Marine pest surveys and management advice;
- Marine ecological assessments including biological monitoring and baseline biodiversity surveys;
- Sediment quality assessments for dredging proposals in accordance with the National Assessment Guidelines for Dredging 2009;
- Scientific diving services, including underwater inspections, monitoring and videography;
- Skippered commercial workboats for on-water inspections, monitoring and accessing waterside assets;
- Response assets for marine pollution incidents, including surveillance vessels and staff trained in the Oil Spill Response Incident Control System (OSRICS).
Projects completed by our scientific team
Environmental Assessment and Monitoring, Port of Melbourne, Vic. Various projects undertaken in the Port of Melbourne including water quality monitoring, environmental site assessments, environmental management plans, flora and fauna surveys and land remediation. For Port of Melbourne Corporation
Marine Pest Surveys and Sediment and Water Quality Monitoring, Queenscliff Harbour, Vic. Environmental surveys and monitoring to meet EMP requirements during all construction phases of the Queenscliff Harbour redevelopment. For Compass Environmental and Draper Civil Constructions;
Marine Fossil Survey, Beaumaris Motor Yacht Squadron Safe Harbour Project, Vic. Survey of the sea floor for internationally significant fossils as part of the EES for the proposed redevelopment of the BMYS, Victoria. For BMYS and Landserv Environmental;
Benthic Sediment Assessment, Port of Burnie, Tas. Elgin Associates staff were members of a project dive team in the collection of benthic sediment cores by SCUBA for a sediment assessment at the Port of Burnie.
Marine Pest Surveys of NSW Ports and Harbours. Elgin Associates staff were part of Australian Museum project team with key roles in SCUBA field surveys and taxonomic analysis of marine pests in ports that included Port Jackson, Port Botany and Port Kembla.
Elgin Associates are members of: Australian Marine Sciences Association (AMSA); Shipping Australia, Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand (EIANZ) and Australian Diver Accreditation Scheme (ADAS).